About Town With Bertie Blackman
Friday, 17 August 2007
The band formed as we were beginning to make the album Black. It was one of those great moments when I felt fate had taken over and directed me to the amazing band members, which are now Bertie Blackman. Neal Sutherland – bass, Evan Mannell – drums, Cameron Deyell – guitar and me Bertie – vocals/ guitar/ hubcap!
DESCRIBE YOUR MUSIC IN A COUPLE OF SENTENCES:
Sexy, black, silent, loud, undulating, raw, cracked. Rock meets Janis Joplin fucking Thom Yorke and Tom Waits in a dank hotel room in Emerald.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SYDNEY VENUE TO PERFORM AT-
The Metro, great sound, great stage, shit lug.
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT LIVE MUSIC IN SYDNEY-
There are only a few venues in Sydney so it’s easy to access good live music.
WHAT’S ANNOYING ABOUT LIVE MUSIC IN SYDNEY-
The fads take over the scene, which makes it hard for an honest musician to get through.
WHERE IS YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO SHOP FOR CDS AND RECORDS IN SYDNEY, AND WHY-
JB HiFi, they are great supporters of local music and their selection is impressive. I also bought Deadwood there and got a free hipflask, so that’s pretty cool.
WHERE’S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE FOR A CHEAP MEAL IN SYDNEY-
Spice I Am on Wentworth Avenue - the Thai food is as good as it is in Bangkok.
WHAT’S YOUR PICK FOR A SUNDAY AFTERNOON PUB-
3 Weeds in Rozelle - the food kills it and so does the wine list.
WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE MOST EXCITING THING HAPPENING IN MUSIC AT THE MOMENT-
What would be exciting is a Coopers Pale Ale sponsorship…
TELL US ABOUT YOUR MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE AS A PERFORMER.
There are so many. Gigs on tour can get pretty feral (which makes them exciting and fun).
• Biker Porn
• Having money thrown at me
• Marriage proposals
• Sharing the stage with karate stunt men
TELL US ABOUT YOUR MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE AS A SPECTATOR.
Seeing Neil Finn perform at the Basement at a Fred Hollows charity event and finding the last seat available which happened to be at the table his parents were sitting at. It made it even more special as they shared stories of the young Finns with me. I’ll never forget it.
WHO: Bertie Blackman
WHAT: Plays Spectrum
WHEN: Friday 24, Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 August
FIVE THINGS THAT ROCK BERTIE’S WORLD
1. Silence is Golden – Fashion Label based in Sydney. Kelvin’s clothes are awesome, sexy and quirky, and we also co-designed my t-shirt.
2. The Shins – Beautiful melodies and songs with fantastic and interesting arrangements. The music is catchy and then gives you so much more with each listen.
3. Fratelli Paradiso – The food at this restaurant is stunning, and living around the corner makes it hard not to visit every day. The staff here are also very friendly and welcoming, and are proud to serve you their delicious meals.
4. Blood Orange – A clothes shop in Potts Point. Again the service is welcoming and there is a genuine excitement about the clothes, which are spectacular. I can’t resist the clothes here, I don’t think I’ve ever had so many lay-buys…
5. My friends - The world would be a dull place without them.