About Town With Damn Arms
Friday, 23 November 2007
WHEN DID THE BAND FORM-
500 BC - we are gypsy time travellers.
DESCRIBE YOUR MUSIC IN A COUPLE OF SENTENCES:
Describing our music is one of the hardest questions to answer without sounding too wanky. Come see us live or check out our MySpace and you will learn many things.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SYDNEY VENUE TO PERFORM AT-
We just played at the Enmore Theatre with Klaxons. It has an amazing sound and playing on that huge stage is awesome. We're looking forward to playing the Oxford Arts Factory for our album launch.
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT LIVE MUSIC IN SYDNEY-
One thing we've found is people in Sydney get excited about live music. They actually listen and move, instead of just going to a gig as an excuse to be seen.
WHAT’S ANNOYING ABOUT LIVE MUSIC IN SYDNEY-
Not enough venues.
WHERE IS YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO SHOP FOR CDS AND RECORDS IN SYDNEY, AND WHY-
Red Eye Records is great for imports and they support local artists too. Also, Egg records is great for second hand vinyl.
WHERE’S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE FOR A CHEAP MEAL IN SYDNEY-
Spice I Am, Happy Chef, Bar Italia and Don Don (we only get a table if we're with Nick Littlemore though).
WHAT’S YOUR PICK FOR A SUNDAY AFTERNOON PUB-
We're not actually from Sydney, so Sunday afternoons usually involve us holding our heads in Melbourne after a big weekend in Sydney.
WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE MOST EXCITING THING HAPPENING IN MUSIC AT THE MOMENT-
Bands are starting to think outside the square. The Aussie rock thing is getting really old and everyone is realising it.
TELL US ABOUT YOUR MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE AS A PERFORMER.
Releasing our debut album was awesome. The tour we did with Midnight Juggernauts was the best tour we'd been on in years.
TELL US ABOUT YOUR MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE AS A SPECTATOR.
V Festival last year in Sydney. Soulwax and Pixies. Enough said...amazing!
WHO: Damn Arms
WHAT: The Live Artex out through Shock / Sydney album launch at Oxford Art Factory
WHEN: Out now / Friday 30 November
MORE: damnarms.com / myspace.com/damnarms
FIVE THINGS THAT ROCK DAMN ARMS’ WORLD
1. Schwipe Clothing. Awesome designers from Melbourne that generously give us clothes. Check it out fo sho.
2. Pnau’s new album. After recording our album with Nick and Pete, it’s great to hear a new record from them.
3. Don Don. The prawn tempura hand roll. If I don't get one of these when I'm in Sydney, I freak.
4. ZZZ. A two-piece group from Melbourne. Mind blowing. Check out their MySpace page. They're releasing an EP on Bang Gang soon.
5. David Letterman. I fucking hate it when Big Brother is on and Letterman is on later. Best show on TV.