About Town with Betty Vale
Thursday, 16 August 2007
WHEN DID YOU START MAKING MUSIC-
I have been singing since I was a little girl but I really started to take music quite seriously around the age of 15 and started writing and recording professionally from the age of 19, it’s been a love affair ever since…
DESCRIBE YOUR MUSIC IN A COUPLE OF SENTENCES.
I love this question! Let’s see, it’s dirty pop with a little flavour to suit all tastes full of smooth grooves, soulful vocals and mad jazz undertones throughout the whole album.
WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE SYDNEY VENUE TO PERFORM AT-
I’d have to say The Vanguard because I love the old burlesque vibe that it has - it’s a great theatrical room.
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT LIVE MUSIC IN SYDNEY-
We are fortunate to have some truly amazing musicians/performers in all styles of music in this great city. The diversity of style is what makes it special for me.
WHAT’S ANNOYING ABOUT LIVE MUSIC IN SYDNEY-
The only thing that I guess I could possibly say would be that we could always do with more live music. I just can’t get enough.
WHERE IS YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO SHOP FOR CDS AND RECORDS IN SYDNEY, AND WHY-
JB is always a winner when it comes to CDS and they also have lots of gadgets - I’m a bit of a sucker for new technology. As for records, the vinyl stores around Darlinghurst are great when I feel the need to quench my thirst for the latest down-tempo or rare groove type tracks. I have to say I also do a lot of online shopping and load up my iPod these days.
WHERE’S YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE FOR A CHEAP MEAL IN SYDNEY-
Best Thai on New South Head Rd, really great food for practically next to nothing…
WHAT’S YOUR PICK FOR A SUNDAY AFTERNOON PUB-
The Watson Bay Hotel, it’s great on a beautiful summer’s day, the sea breeze and the magical harbour view are the big drawcard for me…
WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE MOST EXCITING THING HAPPENING IN MUSIC AT THE MOMENT-
This whole digital era is just going off! There are so many arguments both for and against the Internet and music though I have to say one really exciting thing for all new artists is that you have instant world wide access.
TELL US ABOUT YOUR MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE AS A PERFORMER.
I was performing with my long time friend and music collaborator HiFi Mike. I remember finishing our last song for the night and the crowd was just going nuts. The excitement was so intense at one of our first gigs together that we just couldn’t help but to give each other a big hug the crowd went even more nuts! Good times…
TELL US ABOUT YOUR MOST MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE AS A SPECTATOR.
Gosh, there are too many to list but recently I have to say the drummer from the John Butler Trio rocked it at Live Earth. His drum solo was crazy the crowd really went wild! It was awesome….
FIVE THINGS THAT ROCK BETTY VALE’S WORLD
1. My new Fender Stratocaster – It’s a beautiful black and white metallic colour and allows me to become a true Rock Star from the comfort of my very own home. Whoohoo!
2. My Holden ride – He rocks my world everyday and gets me there in style.
3. The musicians playing in my band - Dave Anthony (Keys), Paula Baxter (backing vocals), Eric Farrales Glorioso (bass), Joe Hamill (guitar) and last but certainly not least Warren Jackson (drums).
4. My mum - She’s an amazing person and puts up with my crazy antics without any complaints…
5. Philippa Galasso - A very talented young designer, who is currently making me a fabulous one off outfit to wear next week for my album launch at the Ruby Rabbit in Darlinghurst, can’t wait.